Wednesday, April 3, 2013

#AtoZChallenge Comfortghan

When you are a grown-up, you still want your mommy and daddy, even long after they are no longer with you. You can surround yourself with friends and family, but nothing takes the place of those who brought you into this world. 

Granted, not everyone is as close to their parents as I was. I am one of the lucky ones. That makes it even harder forme at times.

I recently joined a group that creates comfortghans for those in need. I cannot crochet, but was the point person for their first project. They created afghans for the families of the firefighters that were gunned down here on Christmas Eve. Others were being delivered to the families that lost their homes in the melee. Since then, they have been feverishly working on more and more afghans to send to families all around the country. I started thinking more and more about it, and how comforting those afghans really can be.

This is an afghan, folded up, that my mother's mother made at least 40 years ago. My parents always kept it, plus two other ones, in the cabinet part of an end table that she bought when she met my dad. (She was a customer at his family's furniture store.) This was one of the ones that was considered extra special, because of the intricacy of the flowers. Somehow, I ended up with it. 

I have two cats and a dog and don't trust any of them. So, I usually keep this afghan folded and put away. One night, right around what would have been my father's 70th birthday, I started to feel sad and missed them a lot. I was also really, really cold. All of my blankets and the space heaters weren't doing their job. So, I went to the cabinet and pulled out this afghan. I immediately fell asleep, as I felt the two of them with me that night. It was like I was a little kid again, wrapped up in it with them.

Do you have any afghans or something special from your loved one that gives you comfort?    

17 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful post. It is hard when your parents are no longer with you. But I think it's wonderful that you have such fond memories wrapped up in that comforting afghan. I also think that's so sweet, you create something for those in need. I think just knowing that someone is thinking of you, and a stranger no less, is comforting.

    Have fun with the a-z challenge. :) Thanks for the heartwarming post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a blanket mummy made out of scraps of board short material :) (she used to do a lot of sewing for work). Also apparently my aunty has something of their mother's (my grandmother who I never met) to give me, that she made. I love my patch-work blanket though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi there! new follower. Yes, I have a blanket that has been with me everyday in my bed since I was born, so almost 17 years!

    morgankatz505.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very touching story. I love to crochet comfortghans, and plan to make one for my aunt who is battling cancer. I hope it bring her a sense of peace when she uses it the way yours did for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely story that really touched me. My father had Alzheimer's Disease and died on January 5, 2012. I miss him quite a bit, and am fortunate to have items that were his that surround me. I have a photo/sensory quilt that I made for him. My mom has it now, but eventually it will make its way to me. He used it every day - from the day I gave it to him until the day he died. I know it brought him comfort...and it will to me some day as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom died of ALS she suffer for a long time. One of the things that bring me close to her are her recipes. She was a avid cook and baker and when I take them out I imagine her reading the same recipe and creating it for us her family.

    Very touching blog
    Came by from Tales of the Reborn Crafter
    http://talesofthereborncrafter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother and MIL were both crocheting fanatics. My basement is full of blankets and quilts. You're right, there are those favourites that bring me much comfort.

    Great A-Z post, Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet story. I'm in a group at my church that makes prayer shawls for people in nursing homes. And you're right, there's nothing like a soft blanket or shawl to wrap yourself in when you need some comfort. I have two beautiful afghans from two of my aunts who have passed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right, I have a couple that have special meaning and I definitely look for them to cuddle up in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have made several afghans over the years, the most memorable of which was for my youngest son 34 years ago. He still has it, which comforts me to know, as he moved to Canada two years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! I have quilts. I have a patchwork quilt with nursery rhyme characters on the back that was made for me by my mother's mother. I have another quilt, a plaid flannel that was tacked because my father's mother was no longer able to quilt but wanted to make something for me. I have a baby quilt that was made by the same grandmother, and I have a quilt that my mother made and kept on her bed.
    You can't put a price on this type of comfort.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a touching blog. I lost both my parents way too young and although they've been gone 20+ years I still miss them and even hold silent conversations some times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry for the loss of your parents, but it sounds like they're still keeping you warm in small ways. My mom makes quilts all the time, and occasionally I get to be the lucky recipient of one. There is definitely something special about it, if only because it comes from her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are US. And We are You. I am nearly 78, with lots of kids, grandkids, and great-grands. I think every day about the years I watched my bright and beautiful mother slip away. I wonder if and when it will happen to me. A son assures me I'm not starting to "go" because he knows I worry. So I work out, meditate, eat right and keep busy at all sort of things - like blogging. Mary at Mary A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am blessed with afghans made by my Grandma. Each of my kids have one too. You're right they are warmer, they are made with love!

    Connie
    A to Z buddy
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blankets -- I made my mother one out of soft mohair, she was battling Pancreatic cancer and wrote me that,"I felt as though your arms were around me, Natasha." That is the power of blankets. I also made blankets for the soldiers in Iraq and received a similar letter from one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think comfortghans are a good idea. People around here could have used them after Waldo Canyon Fire! I see that your last A-to-Z post was "C." Are you intending to continue?

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse

    ReplyDelete