Monday, April 4, 2011

C is for Caregivers

Unfortunately, I was never really able to be the caregiver for my mother. I live several miles away, and could only get home a few times a year. While home, though, my father would sleep the entire time, exhausted from having to serve as her caregiver. I would be exhausted after even three days home, let alone it being a full-time job.

It is important to make sure you have a strong support system as a caregiver. There are Alzheimer's support groups out there. My father did try to go to a couple of meetings. Alas, they often were not meeting when they posted they would be. When he called to inquire, he was told "We forgot." No joke. (But how flippin' cliche and hilarious at the same time!?!)

I actually came across a great article for caregivers the other day. It's from the Keene Sentinel in New Hampshire, but the information is useful for anyone who is dealing with Alzheimer's in the family. Read "Resources and tips for the millions of Alzheimer's caregivers, a group at-risk of emotional, health, work, and relationship issues."

3 comments:

  1. Being a caregiver for an Alzheimer's patient is a challenging job...it not only needs courage and strength, but also fortitude. Hats off to your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the best C word I've read about today! Caregivers are special people. My dad just completed the process of caring for my mom for 5 years. She had a rare form called Dementia with Lewy Bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a caring take on C.
    keep up the excellence.

    ReplyDelete