Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ignorance is Bliss

Weeks like this I am jealous of my mother. She is living in her own world at the nursing home, blissfully unaware as to how sick my father is. While my sister and I are constantly checking in with nurses and doctors and visiting our father in the ICU, Mom contentedly thinks that he is off doing something and will be back soon to sleep in the bed next to hers. She doesn't have to worry about every little beep or flinch. She doesn't get to stay up late at night worrying about what is going to happen. She doesn't have to make any difficult decisions.

I feel like it isn't fair that my sister and I are left dealing with these difficulties. But at the same time, I am so happy for my mother that she doesn't have to deal with any of this stress. Daddy has had health difficulties for many years now, and it was always taxing on her. Before she went to the home, she was convinced that medical scares from at least four years ago were currently occurring and it upset her. At this point, her spotty memory is only allowing her to remember the good times. She is very lucky. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I'm very sorry to hear about your father. I hope that he is improving. My prayers are with you and your sister.

    ReplyDelete