Monday, April 4, 2011

C is for Crying

Talking about Alzheimer's is never complete without mentioning crying. Everyone is going to do it. The person who is afflicted is going to cry when she finds out. Her friends and family are going to cry as they watch her slipping away. The crying isn't going to just happen one time and then be over. It is going to happen time and time again. And that is okay.

I do it regularly. So does my family. So does my mother, though she will never admit it.

But through those tears, we try to laugh. And sometimes laugh our way to crying. Remember to let your emotions flow instead of keeping them bottled up. And know you will get through this, somehow some way.

{{hugs}} to everyone else dealing with this disease in their lives. We're all in it together.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful piece of advice. I watched my independent grandmother suffer for 11 years before finally leaving us.

    I wrote about crying as well. I'll be back for more A to Z Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Watching any loved one go through any illness is so hard and trying. It's worse watching someone else go through it, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother's shown symptoms since 1996. That's when I first noticed that she was not herself. The rest of the family said she was the same as ever, but I knew. Like you, I live several hundred miles away from my mother. She's been hanging on now for years. I saw her last weekend, and they need to insert a feeding tube. She's forgotten how to swallow. She hasn't known any of her family for years. I keep forgetting she's still alive, until I see her again and then I say, "Oh, yeah." She's in her own world, and fairly happy in it. It's the rest of us who are broken-hearted, because we can no longer communicate with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. God Bless you for being so courageous and sensible. Thank you for sharing!With a lot of situations crying and laughing are interchangeable.

    I found you with the ‘surprise me’ button. I’m a new follower of yours. I'd love to have you check out my take on the A to Z Challenge, comment and follow, if you'd like.
    http://oaklawnimages.blogspot.com/
    Kathy at Oak Lawn Images

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crying is definitely a big part of the process!

    ReplyDelete