Monday, April 30, 2012

My Mommy Tribute: Q is for Quadrille

How did I miss Q?? I was just going back over my posts and realized that somehow I had skipped over this letter. I wrote so many posts yesterday that I guess it was easy to do.

While perusing the list of words that begin with Q on The Phrontistery, I came across "quadrille." Its definition is "square dance for four couples; card game for four people." That brought back all kinds of memories about my mom and her family.

Every time someone on her side of the family got married, we had square dances at the receptions. My cousins are significantly older than me, so I was young when they all got married. I didn't really understand how to perform the dances, but I loved to do-si-do. My cousin Ken was so tall that he would whip me around until my feet were flying off of the floor! My sister and I used to fight over who was going to dance with him and be flown. We would also bug Mom to get up and join in the fun. Sometimes she did and sometimes she didn't.

As for the card games, my mother was a fan of euchre. She would play with her cousins and many of her friends when they would come visit. The poor woman tried in vain to teach me how to play, but to no avail. I still don't get the game. I probably never will. But at least she tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment